Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Thankful- Day 6

Freedom.....

We live in a very big country! However, we live in a free country. Although voting day is today, we went and  cast our ballot during early voting. From a teacher's standpoint today was a very important teaching moment for me. Our school was a polling place and I was able to teach the election process and the students were able to see it in action and ask questions. I had some interesting conversations with some of the kids. I wanted to share one to show you that your children are always listening.

Student: "Mrs. Jouvenat, do you know what my Grandmother told me that Obama did wrong during his presidency?"
Me: "What is that?"
Student: " He said that a woman could marry a woman and that it is okay. He also said that a woman who got pregnant and wasn't married could kill her baby and it was okay. The Bible tells us this is wrong, so he is wrong in his actions."

Wow! This is from the mouth of  a second grader.

I don't normally get into politics, but my student reiterated a point that has hit me hard during these past four years and the election process.  I don't know if it is because motherly instincts are beginning to set in, but.... what legacy and history are we leaving for our children. I want my children to have one richly based on Biblical principles and values.

I am not only thankful we have the freedom in our country, but the freedom that God has given us through his son's sacrifice! This is the most important legacy to leave for our children.


Galatians 5:13

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
13 For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment